Sunday, June 14, 2009

I figured I should let you all know exactly what Grassroot Soccer, Inc. is, and what I will be doing for the next year!!

I have recently been selected to serve as an Intern for Grassroot Soccer, an organization based out of Norwich, VT, joining their fight against the spread of HIV/AIDS in Africa. Grassroot Soccer, Inc. (GRS) is an international non-profit organization that is using the power of soccer and community role models to empower African youth with the knowledge, skills and support to live HIV-free. This August, I will begin 12 months of service in one of the following sites in which Grassroot Soccer operates – Zambia, Malawi, and South Africa. As an Intern, I will be involved with all aspects of the successful delivery of the GRS program – training professional soccer players and other community leaders in the GRS Curriculum; building relationships with private, non-profit, and governmental organizations; designing, monitoring, and evaluating program implementation; fulfilling key operational and administrative duties in GRS offices. I am very excited to use my passion and dedication to inspire and move to action many youth in Africa.

Because this is a volunteer position with a non-profit organization, I will not receive any compensation for my time of service. With the exception of housing, GRS is unable to provide financial assistance or services for its Field Interns. Therefore, I am asking for your support in covering my expenses while I am in Africa. This includes travel to and from Africa, local transportation, food, health insurance, required immunizations and medications, and even everyday items such as toiletries. My fundraising goal to support my 12 months of service is $12,000. With the support of my family and friends, I am certain that I will reach my target and be able to serve this worthy cause.

While the HIV/AIDS epidemic is devastating and desperate, it is entirely preventable and treatable. If humankind is going to conquer this epidemic and other issues of poverty and infectious disease we must invest in our youth; children are the future and Grassroot Soccer is helping them make the difference! I want to extend this invitation for you to join my mission and journey in fighting the spread of this preventable disease. I will keep an active blog with stories and photos to share my work and experiences with you.

Having just graduated from St. Lawrence University on May 17th, I am both excited and daunted by this upcoming experience. But, I am hoping that this year will help me to find my passions, challenge myself and allow me to look at the world and myself in a completely different manner. I am confident that this year will propel me forward in my life and towards a future career.

Any contribution that you can make is greatly appreciated, just knowing that I have the support of family and friends means so much to me as I venture forward with this journey.

Thank you so much for your continued love, interest and support. Again, if you have any questions, please contact me at any point! I would love to hear from you.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah--can you set up a pay pal option for contributing?

    ReplyDelete